Saturday, June 16, 2012

Our Favorite Less-Mess Cornbread

If you are like me, you find the mommy part of you HATING crumbly cornbread.  It gets in little humans' hair, in the carpet, all over the chairs...ect. It is impossible for me to enjoy dinner if I am resenting that it will take me an hour when all the merry-making is done to clean it all up!  This cornbread recipe is our favorite in taste and texture!  The best part!  The mess is minimized because this recipe is moist and has more of the texture of cake.  We eat this whole pan in one dinner as a side to soup.  (The kids barely touch the soup!)

***** (All five Neumanns approve!)


Limited Mess and Still Amazing Cornbread  (and oil free!)


2 flax eggs (I will post next what a flax egg is, if you aren't sure.)
1 c pastry flour
1 c cornmeal
1 T baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/4 c honey (or maple syrup, or agave....remember SUBSTITUTE what you have!)
1 c rice milk (or soy, or almond)
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce

Make the flax eggs at the very beginning, before getting all the other ingredients out.  These "eggs" will become the consistency of chicken eggs is mixed and then put in the frig for 10-15 mins ahead so they can setup.  Mix dry ingredients.  Add in wet and mix only until barely combined so that you keep that cakey texture.  I use a GREASED 9" square pan.

Bake for 16 mins (in Pacific NW climate) at 425 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean in center.

1 comment:

  1. My last attempt of cornbread turned out yucky I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete