Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Easy Asian Lettuce Wraps

 

My husband looooooooves Asian food so I made up this easy recipe for lettuce wraps and he was quite satisfied (especially with them being only 650 calories for the whole meal!) =O
Beware these are so easy and yummy you might decide to have them for dinner every night!
I had originally wanted to calculate the exact cost of this recipe for you all because I know it was cheap to make...I MEAN CHEAP! Using so many ingredients I usually have on hand and then thinking about how i would calculate the cost of a tiny bit of spice and one garlic clove I just decided an estimate would have to do. I got a can of chick peas from Walmart for $.68 and used lettuce out of my Bountiful Basket so I am just going to make a guess that this meal cost less than $2.00. The teriyaki sauce was the big killer there ;)

Without further ado....here it is :)

Serves 2 big eaters as a main course (I didn't make anything to go with it!)

1 can of chick peas; drained (15 oz)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (leftover rice is fine)
1 garlic clove minced (or more if you like)
1/2 an onion chopped
1/2 t ginger powder
3/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Veri Veri Teriyaki, you could make your own but this is why I call these "EASY" lettuce wraps) 
8-10 Lettuce leaves (I used romaine)


1. Saute onion and garlic until brownish in a nonstick frying pan (oil is not necessary but if you do use it don't forget it changes the calorie count)






2. Add in chick peas and saute for a few minutes.








 
3. Add teriyaki sauce and ginger powder and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occationally.









 


4. Add in your rice and mix until rice is coated and hot but then remove from heat.






5. Put in lettuce leaves and enjoy :) 



Would be yummy topped with green onion, or dipped in sweet chili sauce but neither are necessary!
 

4 comments: