Monday, June 18, 2012

Easy And Healthy Caesar Dressing!


In an effort to eat healthier I purposefully buy too much lettuce and spinach on a regular basis. I buy so much in fact, my husband and I eat salad every day with at LEAST one meal sometimes two, to frantically eat up all the salad mix :) 

I'm not married to a complainer, in fact my husband will eat pretty much anything I set in front of him. With that said, I should also let you know I try not to take advantage of this and make an effort to try new recipes every week and replicate some of his favorite foods he enjoyed before going "plant based".

If you eat salad as much as we do you may have found yourself stuck in the "vinaigrette rut" that I was in. Yes vinegar and oil is a nice light way to eat salad but even 4 different types of vinegar based dressing get a bit old and tangy after a while. I should probably mention here that I am 9 months pregnant at the moment only 2 weeks from my due date so salad is one of the only things that fills my stomach and still allows me to breathe!


Yes breathing is very important it turns out....

After trying Heather's "Homemade Ranch When Your Out Of Everything" I was hooked! And felt confident I could vegan-ize just about any dressing. 

I wanted a creamy, yummy, healthy recipe for caesar dressing. I don't know if you have noticed there are alot of vegan recipes that are still so high in calories and fat! This one is low calorie and fat since it's tofu based instead of mayo or oil based.

This recipe is healthy and creammmmmmyyyy....enjoy!

Ignore my yellow mustard ;)

INGREDIENTS:
10oz firm tofu (soft works fine too)
1 T lemon juice
1-2 cloves of garlic minced fine (unless you really really like garlic, stick to 1)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T Dijon mustard
2 T vegan Worcestershire 
2 T Veganaise or olive oil
optional 1/4 cup of vegan parmesan



 Blend in a food processor or Magic Bullet and enjoy!






Easy Caesar Salad add ons:
*Black olives
*Croutons
*Artichoke hearts
*Sunflower seeds
*Raw sliced mushrooms
*Capers







<3 Diana


If you enjoyed this recipe or any others share this Blog on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I used to buy tofu all the time and always had some in my refrigerator. I'm wondering if the reason I stopped buying it was that I could get it at only one grocery store and the price was about double compared to what I had been paying. Hmmmm....think it's time to look for a better source.

    I am so proud of you two for doing this blog and doing it so well. Where did the last 20 years go?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dora its so great to see we have some readers! Here is a good source for tofu (about $1 a package) and actually any ingredient I have mentioned can be purchased through this site and its very cheap and mostly all organic products! Our mom has been using this co-op for about 15 years :)

      azurestandard.com

      Delete